Condiments & Sauces
Cucumber and Yogurt Sauce (Tzatziki)
- Prep Time: 75 min; Chill Time: 2 hours
- Servings: 6-8
- 1 English cucumber, partially peeled
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 2 TBS Fresh chopped dill, or 1 TBS Dried dill weed
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 c Plain Greek yogurt (whole milk or 2% fat)
- 1-2 TBS Fresh lemon juice
1. Grate cucumber on large holes of box grater (or use food processor) and place in colander to drain for at least an hour. Using your hands, squeeze as much liquid from the cucumber as possible.
2. Mix grated, drained cucumber, yogurt, garlic, dill, lemon juice.
3. Salt to taste.
4. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, for flavors to mellow.
5. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil on top of yogurt sauce, for serving.
- Citrus Sauce for Fish
- Ellen Weber
Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 15 min
- 1 tsp Lemon peel
- 4 tsp Mild Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin, ground
- 1/2 tsp Coriander, ground
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pink peppercorns,ground
- 1 TBS Fresh lemon juice
- 2 TBS Honey
- 1 (6 oz) can Orange juice concentrate, thawed
1. Combine all above into a small saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil, lower heat and cook for 10 minutes or until reduced to 1/2 a cup
- Lemon and Olive Oil Salad Dressing
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt
Garlic, finely crushed (omit if serving with Turkish Eggs as the yogurt sauce has garlic)
½ tsp Dijon mustard
1-2 tsp Greek seasoning
1 pinch Mustard seed, ground
½ tsp Dried thyme, oregano, marjoram, dill, mint, chives, or other herb of your choice
Fresh herbs (thyme, oregano, parsley, mint, chives)
Place ingredients in screw top jar and shake until well combined.
- North Carolina Barbecue Sauce
- Penny Harris
Prep Time: 5 min; Cook Time: 20 min; Difficulty: Easy
- 2-3 TBS North Carolina BBQ Rub
- 1/2 c Cider vinegar
- 1/2 c Water
- 1 c Tomato sauce
1. Put all ingredients in a small pot and mix well.
- 2. Simmer on a low flame for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pepper Vinegar
- John Partin
Prep Time: 10 min Total Time: 1 week Difficulty: Easy
- Hot chili peppers (Thai Bird, Tien Tsin Chiles, or personal preference)
- 1 c Distilled vinegar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/8 tsp Ascorbic acid (such as Fruit Fresh)
1. Pack chili’s into glass jar or bottle.
2. Dissolve salt and sugar into the vinegar, with cream of tartar.
3. Pour vinegar mixture over chilis. Wait a week and taste. Can top up bottle with vinegar as you use it.
- Quick Tomato Sauce
- Mary Partin
- Prep Time: 15 min; Cook Time: 30 min; Difficulty: Easy;
- Servings: 4-6
- 1 (28 oz) can Crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 c Onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1-2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 TBS Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cooked, crumbled ground beef or Italian sausage, simmered in sauce for 30 minutes.
- 1. Heat olive oil in medium sauce pan, and add onions and garlic.
- 2. Sauté until softened, about 5-6 minutes, then add tomatoes, bay leaf, and Italian Seasoning blend.
- 3. Bring to a simmer, and cook at a simmer for 30 minutes, stirring from time to time.